Wednesday 6 July 2011

JUNGLE WARFARE

My heart was pounding.  I stood watching from the little wrought iron balcony overlooking the vacant land surrounded by tall mango trees.  A pack of young feral street dogs were chasing a large monkey down below, I urged the monkey on, sure that it would be faster than the lead dog, but the hound suddenly made a leap and I was stunned to see his jaws clamp down - he had the monkey - flashes of grey and black as the dog tried to secure its grip on the downed monkey - I feared for the worst and then over the wall, came unexpected help, two monkeys, teeth bared, all tales and legs, came to rescue their fallen comrade.  The dog startled, let go his grip, the backup team of dogs too slow and the monkeys leapt away to safety.

Watching these primates from my window every day, I marvel at the bond and social cohesion between them !  The playful mischievousness of the little ones, the petting and grooming of the older ones and the care of the females, for their young.  The dogs clearly weren't expecting a united and fearless group response, to the dilemma of one !


No comments:

Post a Comment