Thursday 4 October 2012

TEA


"'Junis' - it's a Biblical name......  I enjoy my work as a Guide - I grew up in Munnar - our family has been here for 5 generations and I have lived here all my life.  My great grandparents, grandparents and parents,  all worked on the tea plantations, picking tea.  But it's not for me.  The work is hard - 8 hours a day, barefoot.  They used to handpick the tea, but now it's done with shears.  But no - not for me - I want to do different things with my life."  He took out his digital camera to snap the panarama and said that he would download it onto his computer later.   "Every time the light changes, you get a different view"!


"They pick tea every 10 - 15 days and the bush is productive for 100 years - nothing eats the leaf because of its bitter taste and they prune the bush every 5 years.  Everything that you see is about 70 years old".

He was able to identify every medicinal herb along the way with its correct botanical name - confirming Kerala's reputation of having the highest rate of literacy in India !   

No comments:

Post a Comment