Wednesday 21 August 2013

ADAPTING TO CHANGE

It's much easier to calibrate upwards and enjoy the refinement of Western goods and much more difficult to do the opposite and get used to the lack of quality in a third world culture.  Butterfly tin openers are unavailable, but a pretty kurta in purple with hand embroidery and bits of bling, is very easy to find.  It's interesting to see how the down turn in the economy effects everything so quickly.  The response to economic woe, is like watching the water go out of a lock and the subsequent descent of the boat to a lower level.

Shopping malls are empty, as are the shops - bulk buying of cheap goods, piled high on the shop floor, instantly lowers the tone of the shop.  Bacon, which was readily available 4 months ago, is no longer to be found, but instead plenty of cheap chicken and cheese sausages.  The emphasis is more on staple food, rather than luxury items, which might not sell quickly.

As I alighted from the tuk tuk, he came running up to me, a broad smile on his face,  The last time I'd seen him, he was employed as my friend's trusted driver and majordomo, ferrying her and members of her family, hither and thither in the large air conditioned 4 x 4 with darkened windows.

"How is the madam?" I asked....."no, no, I resigned" he said "that young son of their's made me let him drive the car, even though he was under age and I got into trouble - I couldn't take that stress - he was too much to handle".  My face fell, wondering how he was managing.

"I've bought a rickshaw for 50 000 rupees and this is my business now" !!   

No comments:

Post a Comment