Wednesday 11 August 2010

SEASON OF MISTS AND MELLOW FRUITFULNESS

Keats'  'Ode to Autumn' ran through my mind as I was jolting along in the rickshaw...could this be called Autumn ?  I suppose it's Autumn, now that the Monsoon rains are over - the sun is shining, the sky is blue and the cows are all in town with their new born calves - they lie in family groups in the road, some suckling their young.  The dreamy expression in their eyes, made me think of Keats and his 'Ode'...these cows seemed to be relishing the sunshine, soaking it up...and yet this season is so different to that of Europe, because we haven't experienced any cold, the nights are hot and clammy and the days as hot as any.  But everyone is soporific - unoccupied rickshaw drivers sleep in the back of their vehicles with their bare feet projecting out the side - I watched as a cow stretched out its tongue to lick bare toes, thinking they were edible !  The roadside fruit vendor  had laid out a sack on the tarmac and was stretched out fast asleep - I looked at my watch, 2 p.m.  !   The rains are over and the sun is out again...everyone is lost in this pleasure...was I the only one who thought the sun was too hot and who wished the rain would come back?

No comments:

Post a Comment