Monday 14 November 2011

FOOLISH DECISION ?

Matching the colour of the dupatta with the churidas/tights/salwas and getting them to complement the kurti is more difficult than it sounds, but Indian women put a lot of thought into matching these co-ordinates and wearing the appropriate colours for the appropriate occasions.

To shortcut these complications, I chose a beige kurti and beige leggings - now just to find a dupatta to go with this neutral layout - easy ?  "You can't wear a silk dupatta with a cotton kurti" she said with finality  Picking up a stole in iridescent turquoise and cream  with a thunderbolt from Zeus design, she said "this is perfect, it's quiet and sober and just right for your business meeting" - I looked at the alarming fabric - I had never worn that colour in my life - I wondered if the frantic pattern would energise everyone in the room and cause a rash of hasty decisions...

"What about this one" I said hesitatingly, choosing something in dull reds and blues of natural vegetable dye, which seemed to blend with my beige ensemble in an entirely sympathetic and unassuming  way..."Oh no - that's far too festive - you would wear that for a Diwali party"  was her emphatic reply.

Now I was in a very difficult position, having asked her expert advice, but how could  turquoise thunderbolts look quiet and sober ?   "I'll have to go to the meeting looking festive" I said.  With a disapproving snigger, she accepted my choice....but her look spoke volumes....."you're making a mistake madam" !!

No comments:

Post a Comment