Friday 3 January 2014

PASSING THROUGH

Shady streets lined with gigantic, spreading, Rain Trees and neanderthal, Banyans, their canopies arching over everything below - their aerial roots trailing thick tendrils vertically down, bringing to mind exotic jungles, Rudyard Kipling and Mowgli - symbols of a bygone, 19th century age.  The Victorian and Art Deco buildings of Colaba, with their peeling paint and sagging balconies, add to the sense of time slipping by.  And yet this dilapidated splendour is what makes Mumbai the unique place that it is.

"I love Mumbai" said the taxi driver "I was born here and have always lived here....you can do anything you like and go anywhere you like - nobody asks questions - there's so much freedom and plenty of food to eat.  I have my mother, wife and two daughters with me and I'm putting both girls through college - I'm a happy man" !

Colaba, Mumbai



No comments:

Post a Comment